Latest Book

Latest Book
UP: Influence Power and the U Perspective-- The Art of Getting What You Want

Sunday, February 1, 2009

There's a Bright Side to Losing a Job -- Really

A few years ago, I wanted to go to a local restaurant I had never been to before that featured jazz bands. I called to make a reservation, and by chance, the person who took my reservation was the owner. I arrived at the restaurant with a woman that I had just started dating. I was greeted warmly by the owner, given a choice table and treated like I was his best customer. The owner even sent over complimentary drinks. To say the least, I was puzzled by this behavior but because I was trying to impress my date, I acted as if this type of thing happened to me all the time.

When my date excused herself to go to the lady's room, the owner came up to me and said "You don't remember me, do you?" I told him I didn't. Then he said, "You fired me. And I wanted to thank you. Although I was devastated when I was laid off, it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me."

He went on to explain that after he was fired, he came home and took over his family's restaurant. He had always loved jazz, so he decided to start bringing bands in on weekends. He added: "I love running the restaurant and it is a huge success. Although I didn't really like the job you fired me from, it paid well and I never would have left on my own."

On a single day this week, more than 70,000 jobs were lost when layoffs were announced at a number of major companies, including Caterpillar, Pfizer, Home Depot and Sprint Nextel. On a personal note, my future son-in-law was also laid off this month. That is lots of bad news in the job market and I expect we will see more in the coming months.

Losing your job is never easy. It is traumatic for the people losing their jobs. It causes hardship for their families. For individuals being laid off, there is a common fear, however unfounded, that they will never find jobs as good as the ones they just lost. For most people, the truth is exactly the opposite. They will not only find something, they will be happier and will ultimately be even more financially successful.

Despite the din of bad economic news, there are opportunities out there. Good economic news either seems not to get reported or is dismissed as an aberration. On the same day the layoffs were announced, the National Association of Realtors reported December home sales posted the largest monthly gain in seven years. While one month does not signal a turnaround in the housing market, the sales of more homes, even at lower prices, will lead to work for mortgage brokers processing loans, contractors doing home improvements and retailers selling appliances, carpets, furniture and home furnishings, among others.

As someone who has been through major layoffs as a senior human resources executive, here is some advice for those of you who may experience a period of unemployment during the current economic downturn:

Stay positive. While there are many more people seeking work than there are available jobs at the moment, there are jobs out there. According to the most recent available statistics from the U.S. Department of Labor, there are 2.8 million job openings employers are seeking to fill.

Read the business news every day. Look for areas of growth where your skills might be needed. Identify companies that are expanding into new areas or launching new products. Determine where the government will be spending money. Be willing to take temporary work for companies that are experiencing sudden growth. Alternatively, offer to consult for a company that may not be doing so well but where your skills can add demonstrable value. If you can get your foot in the door and show what you can do, it will often lead to a full-time position.

New opportunities open up everyday. You need to be alert for them. Our new president has barely unpacked and the IRS has already announced it is seeking to hire hundreds of new tax collectors and auditors. If you had been vigilantly reading the news, you would already be aware of that; if you were interested, you might already have an interview lined up.

Lee E. Miller is a career coach and the author of "UP: Influence Power and the U Perspective -- The Art of Getting What You Want." Mail questions to Lee@YourCareerDoctors.com.

No comments: