Latest Book

Latest Book
UP: Influence Power and the U Perspective-- The Art of Getting What You Want

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Stress and the Pace of Working in the US

I am two days back in the USA. People in Singapore and India work very hard. Some do so and are just barely able to scratch out a living. Nonetheless it is not the same. We really do move at a much faster pace than anywhere else in the world. We just take for granted that we are on call 24/7 with our cell phones, blackberrys, Internet, video cams etc. No where else is anyone so connected to their work. To the extent that you enjoy your work it provides a source of satisfaction. But sometimes you have to disconnect. When I was traveling I left a message on my voicemail that I would not be checking it and to contact me by e-mail. I was able to conduct my business but the pace somehow seemed less hectic.

That brings home the point of how important it is to take some time off periodically to refresh yourself. When I was a corporate executive I got to travel to lots of exotic places but I never got to really see them. I saw the hotels. I ate at nice restaurants. I went to lots of restaurants and bars. Then I went home. What a waste.

Take your vacation time. Most Americans don't use all their vacation. They are too busy and it is too hard to catch up when they get back. Or they are afraid if they are gone that they will miss something important. Hard work is important to success but you need to stop every once and a while to see what is going on around you and around the world, not to mention sharing time with the people you care about. It will make you better at what you do and a better person as well.

No comments: